Interleukin-11 Links Oxidative Stress and Compensatory Proliferation
Takashi Nishina, Sachiko Komazawa-Sakon, Saeko Yanaka, Xuehua Piao, Dong-Mei Zheng, Jiang-Hu Piao, Yuko Kojima, Shunhei Yamashina, Emiko Sano, Tracy Putoczki, Takahiro Doi, Takashi Ueno, Junji Ezaki, Hiroko Ushio, Matthias Ernst, Kouhei Tsumoto, Ko Okumura, Hiroyasu Nakano*
*To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail:
This PDF file includes:
- Fig. S1. H2O2, but not TNF-α or LPS, induces IL-11 production in HepG2 cells.
- Fig. S2. t-BuOOH induces Il11 expression.
- Fig. S3. Il11 mRNA expression is increased in dying cells.
- Fig. S4. Activation of the ERK pathway is critical for Il11 mRNA expression in RelA–/– MEFs and HepG2 cells.
- Fig. S5. The PI3K-Akt pathway partly contributes to the expression of Il11 mRNA.
- Fig. S6. Oxidative stress induces the formation of high–molecular mass oligomers of MKP3.
- Fig. S7. H2O2 activates the Il11 promoter in HCT116 cells.
- Fig. S8. Fra-1 interacts with ERK2.
- Fig. S9. The ROS-induced increased abundance of Fra-1 is not regulated at the level of mRNA.
- Fig. S10. Serum IL-11 concentrations are increased in mice after induction of severe hepatitis.
- Fig. S11. Amelioration of oxidative stress suppresses IL-11 production and phosphorylation of STAT3 in APAP-induced hepatitis.
- Fig. S12. Amelioration of oxidative stress suppresses IL-11 production and phosphorylation of STAT3 in hepatitis induced with antibody against Fas.
- Fig. S13. IL-11 is produced by hepatocytes upon oxidative stress.
- Fig. S14. The IL-11R agonist NT-3N induces STAT3-dependent signals.
- Fig. S15. The IL-11R agonist NT-3N ameliorates APAP-induced oxidative stress.
- Fig. S16. APAP-induced liver injury is not exacerbated in male Il11ra–/– mice.
- Fig. S17. A model for apoptosis- and necrosis-induced compensatory proliferation.
- Table S1. Genes whose expression in H2O2-treated MEFs was increased compared to
that in untreated MEFs.
Format: Adobe Acrobat PDF
Size: 3.92 MB
Citation: T. Nishina, S. Komazawa-Sakon, S. Yanaka, X. Piao, D.-M. Zheng, J.-H. Piao, Y. Kojima, S. Yamashina, E. Sano, T. Putoczki, T. Doi, T. Ueno, J. Ezaki, H. Ushio, M. Ernst, K. Tsumoto, K. Okumura, H. Nakano, Interleukin-11 Links Oxidative Stress and Compensatory Proliferation. Sci. Signal. 5, ra5 (2012).