Transport Proteins (Animations)
Jack D. Thatcher*
*Corresponding author. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Animation 1. Transport protein classes. This FLASH animation illustrates the major classes of transport proteins, beginning with the three major classes: channels, transporters, ATPase pumps.
[Download Animation in FLASH format for PC] (link to the file called Transport Protein Classes.swf)
[Download Animation for Mac] (link to the file called Transport Protein Classes.zip)
Animation 2. Transporters, mechanism of action. This FLASH animation illustrates the molecular basis of transport by transporters and P class ATPase pumps.
[Download Animation in FLASH format for PC] (link to the file called Transporters, Mechanism of Action.swf)
[Download Animation for Mac] (link to the file called Transporters, Mechanism of Action.zip)
To open the animations with a Windows operating system using Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
(1) Click the link for the animation.
(2) A dialog box may pop up that begins with the statement "Windows cannot open this file." If this box does not appear, proceed to step four. If it does, choose "Select the program from a list," then click OK.
(3) Another dialog box will pop up that lists different programs. Make sure "Internet Explorer" is selected, then click OK.
(4) Internet Explorer will pop up. Beneath the toolbars at the top of the window, a yellow bar will appear that reads: "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this Web page from running scripts or Active X controls that could access your computer. Click here for options�." Pass the cursor over this yellow bar and click the right mouse button.
(5) A dialog box will pop up. Left click the option "Allow Blocked Content."
(6) Another dialog box will appear labeled "Security Warning" asking you to confirm that you want to run the content. Click "Yes."
(7) The Flash animation will appear in the Internet Explorer Window.
(8) Instructions for navigating the lesson are provided by the first frame of the animation. On most screens, unless specified, clicking anywhere on the screen advances the action.
To play the animations on a Mac, unzip the file and double click the icon for the application.
Format: FLASH animations
Size: 564 kb (Transport Protein Classes.swf), 150 kb (Transporters, Mechanism of Action.swf)
Requirements: Flash-enabled Web browser
Limits for Use
Rights: This material may be downloaded for noncommercial, course-teaching purposes only, provided credit to Science Signaling is included by listing the citation for the Teaching Resource.
Citation: J. D. Thatcher, Transport proteins. Sci. Signal. 6, tr3 (2013).